Sunday, July 8, 2012

PITAHAYA UPDATE

In Lerma, near or part of the city of Campeche, there is a Queen of the Night or pitahaya cactus that always catches my eye.  One part of the street narrows a bit and the pitahaya cascades over the wall of one of the houses right on the street. So quaint looking.
The dragon fruit plant was the subject of an earlier blog.  I have been hoping that one day a bloom would hold on thru the morning and I could see it.  I am a bit of a plant nerd.
While driving through Lerma, on the way to Playa Bonita, a bloom on this plant was a little slow closing and awww... I got my wish.  My enthusiasm was curbed enough so Bruce could avoid an accident whilst pulling over.  



Its interesting that the pitahaya is blooming while producing fruit.  Most of the fruiting plants I am familiar with, like apple trees, bloom then have the fruit in a couple of months, long after the blooms are long gone.  Our growing season is a bit different in Canada too.  Fascinating the various cycles of plants and how they vary.



We tried one from a street vendor.  The flavor doesn't match the color.  When I saw it I thought it would be a strong perfumy flavor but instead it has a very delicate, fresh flavor.  Oh those cacti are amazing water conservationist so this is one place they store it, in their fruit.  Pitahaya would make a nice addition to a fruit salad or to add some flash and an exotic feel to your table decor.

No comments:

Post a Comment